Friday, May 10, 2013

"Bouree" from That's Suite!




Yaaaaaaay!


So I'm a little late to the party posting this, but this year was kind of a big deal for me. I'm kind of a huge fan of collaborative works. The idea of writing for somebody and with them along the process is so much more fun, engaging and rewarding process than dumping ink on paper and praying somebody will play your work.

Amy Leventhal, the violist in this work, is a great friend of mine. She's the embodiment of the phrase "Dance to the beat of your own drum." We share a love of eachother's music and relish in our "out there" moments. Unlike me, she's a performer with a record to prove. She was the associate chair (for viola) in a little orchestra called the Atlanta Symphony for 20 years. That's right, she's served on conductors like Robert Shaw, Yoel Levi and Robert Spano (just some big names.) The best part by far is getting her to relieve pieces she's enjoyed or recounting composers/conductors whose company she relishes.

When she came to me last year saying she wanted a work written, I was completely honored and floored.  On top of that, the work was a personal one in nature. The instrumentation of the work: Bassoon, Viola and Piano. All three of the instrumentalists are good friends who have a rich history of performing and just having fun together. I had to write a work for the three of them in a concert they were throwing together. Easy peasy (Yeah right!)


This work has caused me more stress than anything else I've ever written before. Not because the writing was hard, but because I had to write something perfect for a good friend commissioning a personal work. Finally, I decided on writing something I enjoy and throwing it their way. I went the route of Neo-Baroque and decided to write a revived French-Baroque suite....of sorts. It has a lot of the elements in one. A big fanfare type opening, some airier movements. A couple of rhythm games and a perpetual rhythm motion. This is one of the dances from "That's Suite!" More are coming, I promise!!!!

On a side note, I can't stress enough how amazing Laura Gordy, Pat Gunter and Amy are. My jaw basically dropped while they were in rehearsal.

No comments:

Post a Comment